Diagnostic of brain astrocytoma in Germany includes the most advanced tools and procedures that are aimed at early and precise cancer detection. Developing in the brain or spinal cord, astrocytoma may be an aggressive tumor with quick growth and bright manifestations or slow-growing and difficult to diagnose neoplasm.
Diagnostic of brain astrocytoma in Germany includes the most advanced tools and procedures that are aimed at early and precise cancer detection. Developing in the brain or spinal cord, astrocytoma may be an aggressive tumor with quick growth and bright manifestations or slow-growing and difficult to diagnose neoplasm. Both cases require different diagnostic approaches and procedures that precede astrocytoma treatment planning.
Complaints and neurological examination
The examination starts from discussing patient’s complaints. Symptoms of brain astrocytoma include headaches, blurred or double vision, loss of appetite and vomiting, seizures, hampered thinking and learning, etc. After this, doctor proceeds to the neurological examination.
The full neurological exam takes up to 30 minutes. It consists of tests aimed at checking the control of the brain. Doctor looks for changes in the vision, balance and coordination, hearing, muscle strength, reflexes, etc. These noninvasive tests indicate which brain parts are affected by the tumor.
Imaging procedures allow detecting, staging, and grading of the astrocytoma, as well as evaluating cancer treatment efficacy. The following tests are used:
- MRI, which is the most common examination. Functional MRI reflects brain activity. Perfusion MRI reflects brain blood flow. Tractography visualizes white matter tracts of the brain and spinal cord (this is where sensory and motor electrical pulses are conducted).
- CT is performed in people who cannot undergo MRI because of the implanted medical devices (e.g. cochlear implants, pacemakers).
- PET-CT allows characterizing astrocytoma on a molecular and metabolic level. Radiotracers that are injected intravenously before the intervention reflect glucose metabolism and protein synthesis in the tumor, its proliferation rate, membrane biosynthesis and oxygen metabolism.
Biopsy with histological examination
The biopsy is removing a sample of the suspicious nervous tissue for further examination under the microscope. Depending on the particular clinical situation and location of the tumor, the procedure may be performed before surgery, with a needle, or during surgery aimed at astrocytoma removing. Biopsy is typically guided by MRI (the stereotactic procedure).
After the histological and immunohistochemical tests, a pathologist determines tumor grade, which indicates its aggressiveness and guides treatment decisions. Astrocytoma treatment in Germany is also based on the types of mutations that cells of the neoplasm have acquired.
Diagnostics in Germany with Booking Health
Thousands of patients annually undergo diagnostic of brain astrocytoma in Germany because of the availability of high-precision equipment and experienced clinicians. Traveling to German hospitals from abroad, it is better to contact Booking Health first.
As the certified provider of medical tourism, Booking Health offers help in:
- Choosing the right hospital or clinic.
- Establishing communication with the selected expert in astrocytoma diagnosis.
- Preparing and discussing the preliminary medical program.
- Booking the appointment and schedule of diagnostic tests.
- Monitoring the whole process of diagnosis making.
- Organization of the subsequent therapy and rehabilitation.
- Communication with the clinic after medical program completion.
- Help in buying and forwarding medicines, if any required.
- Providing favorable cost of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, saving up to 50% of total cost for the foreigners.
- Control of invoices, return of unspent funds.
- Offering travel service of the highest level: booking accommodation and plane tickets, transfer organization, work of interpreter.